We’re starting a new feature of our DIY section in our blog:: DIY EAT.
Occasionally, a little something extra can be a good thing….especially when it is loaded with probiotics and fantastic ingredients.
Today’s recipe is a quick, healthy recipe your dog will LOVE. This tasty yet light combination of flavours provides a nourishing, healthy addition to your companion’s usual meal.
1/4 c fresh fennel, finely diced, raw or steamed
1/4 c fava beans, lightly cooked
1 Tbsp cherries, pitted and diced
1/2 c live culture plain yogurt
1 c cooked ground meat, such as turkey (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients gently with a spoon in a large bowl.
2. Add a couple tablespoons of the mix to each of your pet’s usual meals.
3. Refrigerate any leftovers for two or three days in a covered container.
This recipe is from Cookies: Healthy Allergen-free Treat Recipes for Your Dog by Martina Schops.
A bit more about the ingredients:
- Fennel is bursting with powerful antioxidants such as quercitin and some studies are underway to investigate its possible cancerfighting properties. It’s also a warming herb that is very useful for gas and indigestion.
- Cherries are loaded with antioxidants, and nourish the liver and kidneys.
- Fava beans are thermal-neutral. They tonify the spleen, liver, kidneys, and pancreas.